Friday, May 22, 2009

Good News

I feel like one good thing after another has been happening for my little business. I have a simple product that people are buying and loving as much as I love them. The sales are pouring in and I am having a blast preparing packages and getting those orders out the door as quickly as possible. As a matter of fact, you can see how productive I've been. See this empty roll? That was full of 200 yards of birdseye fabric 3 weeks ago!! I pulled the last batch off today and I'm prewashing that fabric now. I predict that the unpaper towels that I make with this batch will be sold out before my new roll arrives next Wednesday! What an amazing and wonderful thing! (Although the thought of selling out makes me a bit nauseous because I like to ship my orders the same day and there might be a wee bit of a delay for orders placed early next week.)

A blogger asked if she could feature me so I am working on answering her questions. She also suggested that I include a photo of my work area so I thought I'd share it here, too. (The other areas are too messy right now!) Here is my beloved cutting table. My amazing husband made me this table with a large piece of wood that he found in our attic when we bought our house 15 years ago. The initial base was looking icky so he just remade it for me recently with new unfinished cabinets. I love it! The cabinets still need to be finished but I can't stop using the table long enough to let him do it. I was going to store fabric in the cabinets...except that my children LOVE to hide in there with a flashlight so it looks like they will remain empty except for a pillow and a couple blankets. If I ever lose a kid, remind me to look there first.

My current fears and concerns are not having ANY unpaper towel stock built up for my next appearance at the Riverside Arts Market, Saturday, May 30th. I just keep selling them via my Etsy store so quickly! My new roll of birdseye arrives May 27th and I'll need to burn the midnight oil to make as many as I can between Wednesday and Saturday morning. Yikes!

We have had monsoon weather here. Day 6 of dreary rainy days. I really rely on the sunshine and breeze when I make my unpaper towels. Hanging fabric on the line means I don't have to iron before I cut the fabric out. So...I was forced to hang 2 lines in my garage. Not as delightful as seeing my fabric blowing in the breeze but it meant that I could continue whipping out unpaper towels.

And all these gray skies were kind of bringing me down so I had to make my own brightness...in the form of hand made and hand dyed kitchen towels. My 2 youngest girls and I stood out in the drizzly rain and tie dyed. It was fun! I want to do it again already. Here are our little packages that rested overnight. The results are stunning! I'm saving these for the Riverside Arts Market. Aren't they just awesome???

4 comments:

DipYourToes said...

I love the tie-dye!

AFineDistraction said...

Yes, Athena, they truly are awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love the towels! I hope your sewing goes faster than you expect and you are well-stocked for the market this weekend.

Katie

Tina said...

The fabric rack is a good idea if you use rolled fabric. I don't personally need one, since all my stuff is smaller cuts (few yards, at most). So, I have the closet full of tubs instead.