Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baffled, bewildered and downright thankful

My little business is growing my by leaps and bounds. It started one week ago when I listed my first set of unbleached unpaper towels on Etsy. Since then my sales have exploded. I can't believe how much need there was for such a simple idea....a paper towel replacement that feels and acts more like a paper towel then anything else out there. I created my version of the unpaper towel based on personal need. I wanted to stop buying paper towels. We were spending over $30 a month on paper towels!

My first few attempts were sort failures because the suggested fabrics (flannel, woven prints, etc) ) didn't really work like a paper towel, they sort of pushed the water around. When I came across my stash of diaper-making fabric, an idea was born and I made a whole stash of unpaper from birdseye fabric last summer. It was only then, that my dh gave me permission to stop buying paper towels. Success!

And I have been slowly building my business over the past 9-10 months. Sales were coming but at the rate of 1-2 or maybe 3 in a week. In the past week, between Etsy and the Art's Market, I have sold over 70 sets of either my unpaper towels or my flannel cloths!!!

I am thrilled and a bit giddy. I'm already reinvesting back into my company so that I can be more efficient. My husband built me a 3x6 foot cutting table and set it on top of 3 new cabinets. I also purchased a new huge self healing cutting mat that covers the entire surface! Other couple weeks of great sales and I'll be looking for an industrial serger!

3 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations! What good news for your business! I know you're enjoying it! I looked for you at RAM 2 weeks ago but that was your off weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit green at the thought of that huge cutting mat. Congratulations!

Katie

ruthee... said...

I am really so very happy for you. You really have found a niche!