Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Semi Official

I went to my SCORE group counseling session yesterday...only it was just me, my 12 year old dd and then Bill and Bob, two retired businessmen. Bob was the talker. Bill was in training to be a SCORE counsellor and he pretty much said nothing to me the entire time. The meeting was semi-helpful. They weren't able to answer all of my questions so the referred me to a ton of different websites. I think it would have been more helpful to match me with someone who has a business offering lessons of some sort, like a piano teacher. It was still very exciting to talk to someone else about my plans!

From there we walked over to the Tax Collector's office to get a business license. At this point, I'm just set up as a sole proprietorship and my license is a peddler's license. This will allow me to sell at the arts market. It does not cover phase 2 of my business. That gets a bit more complicated. And I still haven't decided on a name so that piece will be put on hold until I decide. I'm not super creative with business naming and I really don't enjoy this aspect of starting a business. Should the name be a cool name or a name the states the nature of the business? Should it be narrow or broad in scope? etc, etc, etc.

My creative endeavor last night was dyeing 20 yards of fabric in 5-6 different colorways. As I've mentioned before, I LOVE dyeing fabric. It's very satisfying to me. I did have one uh oh moment in that I accidently muddied one of the solutions so the bright orange and pink has turned into something else. I think it will still be OK, just not as bright as I was aiming for. And that's the thing, it's hard for me to get repeatable results because I love just mixing and adding dye and praying for a magnificent surprise.

There is other exciting news going on here. My oldest child is going back to public school starting today. And the other children may be following soon. We are still ironing out the details with the younger children. Two of them can't wait to start and one is not looking forward to it at all. I'm excited at the thought of having time to devote to my business and household stuff. There just is not enough time in the day to get everything done...especially when children undue the work before I move to the next room. There will be some trade offs but I think that those will be minimal considering how late it is in the school year.

1 comment:

suzanne said...

My dad was a SCORE volunteer for several years. If it would be helpful to talk with him (via phone since he lives in Sarasota), I'd be happy to ask him.
Let me know!
Peace,
Suzanne