Sunday, November 29, 2009

11/28 Riverside Arts Market - Spidery!

My supply of shirts was dwindling down so I tie dyed the remainder on Friday, after Thanksgiving. It took me a super long day to get these done. I always underestimate how long it takes to just do stuff! I had planned on sewing more Bird-E Towels for the market but there was no time.

Here are some shirts, soaking in a solution to bring them to the right PH level so that the dye that I use will be permanent.


With the super cold temps, I had to bring my operation inside and then keep the kids away from the tempting bottles. This was set up on top of my dining room table. I used pieces of cardboard to soak the small spills. Tie dyeing is messy!

I keep grates over bins like this to contain the dripping. And I'm now mixing dye by the gallon or half-gallon...thus the milk jugs (which were thoroughly cleaned obviously.) I like to recyle and reuse with my business. I use reuse plastic bags over and over and over again...even though it takes precious time to clean them out after each use. The same with the rubber bands that I use.



So yesterday was my second to last schedule appearance at RAM. It was cold, brutally cold for this gal who does not have proper winter clothing. My hands especially did not like the cold. It was hard to get them to cooperate with me at times. My feet, however, where quite toasty in my hand knit wool/cotton socks...ones that I knit myself a couple years ago!

I changed the layout a bit, like I always do depending on where I am and what is around me. I really prefer spots with one end open.


For the most part, it was a long slow day. Traffic was down compared to the previous 2 weeks. Sales were about half of my average. Not complaining really, these things happen and I am very thankful for the customers who did stop by and find things to purchase. I have high hopes that next week will close the year for me with a bang. You know, so that I can actually pay myself instead of just accumilating supplies. ;) Not that I don't get immense pleasure from opening 200 yard rolls of fabric, dyes and t-shirt blanks. Oh, I like that just fine!

This week's RAM theme for me was spiders...partly because of this beauty..


This is the Christmas spider that I bought from my booth neighbor, Samantha. I had never heard of Christmas spiders but I was entranced by them! She included a little piece of paper with a brief version of the story but I found a longer version here... http://www.santalady.com/xmasgame/stories/spider.html Kids were really drawn to the spiders so I know my kids will love having this on our tree. And Samantha has an etsy store! alaart.etsy.com Her stuff is gorgeous and she's really nice, too. She does have some spiders in her store now... http://www.etsy.com/search_results_shop.php?search_type=user_shop_ttt_id_5585745&search_query=spider

When my hubby comes to help me break down my booth, our children are sometimes with him and they help. When my middle dd was undoing velcro from my tent, she found this little spider.



I can't believe that the Riverside Arts Market is so close to wrapping up for the year. It has been such a great thing for Riverside, heck...for Jacksonville and the surrounding areas, too. But, considering that I am and have been a Riverside resident for nearly 20 years, I feel what I consider to be a deeper appreciation. This is my neighborhood and my small business is thriving, in part due to RAM. And the other kudos go to etsy.com for sure!

2 comments:

Carla G. said...

Hi Kerri! I met you last weekend at RAM (I'm the annoying girl who asked you about your sewing machine brands vs. the cheapy ones I've used and abused). I am really enjoying my new Bird-E towels and I also really love the little hankies/napkins that I purchased! I can't wait to visit RAM again and purchase more! I love visiting your blog also. Thank for being so friendly! I have a blog and featured your product if you would like to check it out: www.creativeorganization.blogspot.com. I gave you all the credit for your photos and sent my viewers to your etsy site.

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Your tie-dye is gorgeous! My goal is to loose some weight - and then reward myself by buying myself some this summer - I may just have to shop your shop:) And that spider is super cute!